Expose your children to intriguing subjects and ideas from all subjects while bolstering their reading comprehension skills.
Reading Comprehension in Varied Subject Matter (for Grades 3-8)
This popular series offers nonfiction reading passages with comprehension questions on a variety of subjects. Each workbook has 31 selections in these subject areas: social studies; science; literature; mathematics; philosophy, logic, and language; the arts; and combined subjects. Each book in this series is arranged thematically. The themes relate the selections to one another, show different aspects of a topic, and give students a broader knowledge of a subject.
Each selection follows a consistent format 7-step format in presenting the passage, and includes exercises on vocabulary and writing.
- About the Passage - introduces the selection to the reader and activates prior knowledge
- Reason for Reading - explains the reading skill emphasized
- The Selection - thematically organized selections across subject matter.
- Thinking it Over - lists two to three broad questions to be answered in writing
- Studying the Passage - asks questions about the main idea, facts, and sequence, and asks students to draw conclusions, make assumptions, and interpret.
- Using the Words - encourages students to use new vocabulary words in a paragraph
- Writing about It - has students answer questions about the contents of the selection and offer their interpretation or opinion
Book 6 is for Grade 8. Softcover. Dimension: 11 X 8.50 (inches).Student Book ISBN: 9780838806050
Answer Key ISBN: 9780838896051